Tired Business Cliche List

CNBC‘s Power Lunch asked viewers to email them with the business cliche that is the most annoying to them.

I’m not a joiner, so I didn’t email them.  Thought I’d share them right here instead.  Feel free to comment if I missed any.

1.  “At the end of the day…”

2.  “Outside the Box”

3.  “Best of Breed”

4.  “Stockpicker’s Market”

5.  “The situation is fluid”

6.  “The New Normal”

7.  “Black Swan”

8.  “The New Math”

There are plenty more…the elimination of these 8 would be a good start, though.

Get TRB’s Feed in your Reader!

Tags: ,

Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.

What's been said:

Discussions found on the web
  1. alyx commented on Aug 28

Yeah, some of those make me nostalgic for the days when all news reporting sounded like it had been run through the Web Economy Bulls**t Generator (on dack.com). At least there was a little more variety to the hackneyed verbiage.

TRB: I remember those days too! My fave was Price to Eyeballs as a metric for valuing Lycos or some other ridiculous POS. LOL

2. alyx commented on Aug 28

1. New paradigm
    2. (marketing/financial/technical) guru
    3. Cutting edge technology
    4. Best in class
    5. The New Economy

7. packaged commented on Sep 04

Yeah, makes me nostalgic too – for the days when I was employed. Add to the list “customer centric” and “organizational redesign”.

8. packaged commented on Sep 04

9. packaged commented on Sep 04

10. John Connolly commented on Sep 04

You’ve missed the most obnoxious, redundant, asinine one of all….. “going forward”

Think about it. Can you go sideways or backwards in time? Not unless you’re an H G Wells character

Some pissant pundit on Wall St Week or Bloomberg pontificated ‘going forward’ a few years ago. Now every wannabe financial authority parrots it.

One of your tweeters above used another big cliched malapropism, most common to the quasi-literate, texting, creole and pidgin english enthusiasts…”LOL”

A third one is not exactly a cliche, but a stark totalitarian warning for Canadians in particular. I first saw it in a tiny news item in the 1960s. “The Bejing Police arrested the demonstrators for yelling ‘incorrect’
    slogans”.

TRB: Good eye, definitelty missed some of these. The use of LOL was my own…can’t help it, I love my shortcuts, as inane as they may be. Thx for reading.

11. John Connolly commented on Sep 04

slogans”.

12. John Connolly commented on Sep 04

slogans”.

13. Ron Jakimchuk commented on Sep 04

“Metric” What the hell does that mean!

14. Ron Jakimchuk commented on Sep 04

“Metric” What the hell does that mean!

15. Ron Jakimchuk commented on Sep 04

“Metric” What the hell does that mean!