SunTrust’s Bob Peck attended the first Recode Conference yesterday and jotted down a few quick takeaways after hearing from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Google CEO Sergei Brin. I assume we’ll hear much more in-depth stuff from Peck, he’s one of the most insightful analysts covering Silicon Valley in the biz.
For now, his observations below:
Satya Nadella – Peck’s Points for Investors
1) The “next big thing” is the “post, post PC”, which means ubiquitous service across devices.
2) To achieve success, they must build platforms for people, not devices
3) Must leverage data to make service more personal (mentioned Pandora)
4) Will not sell Bing – important technology leveraged for other areas.
5) Does not feel need to BUY something big, but needs to BUILD something big.
6) Will not spin Xbox – (sometimes owning the hardware is necessary)
7) New product unveiled: real time video chat translation
8) When asked on who competition was, he described competition as amiable and cited meetings with Jeff Bezos, Larry Page, and Tim Cook.
9) Bill Gates only helps out; Satya is responsible as CEO
10) “In the world of more personal computing, data is the currency”
Sergey Brin – Peck’s Points for Investors
1) The Internet is getting more personal and intimate (i.e., Glass, personalization) – echoes Satya.
2) Focusing work on X Division for last 3 years, doesn’t work at Google core now
3) Google X has 8 live projects: only discussed Glass, Loon, Glucose Lens, and Self Driving Car
4) Unveiled new car that has no driver or dashboard, increased field of vision (building 100-200 units)
5) No interest in buying Uber, will partner with many
6) Doesn’t want to build cars, will partner
7) Glass MAY be a commercial product by year end
8) Was not asked about Nest strategy
9) Was not asked about any interest in Dropcam
10) No plans to retire anytime soon
Code Conference Top 10 Points for Investors Day 1: Satya Nadella & Sergey Brin
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey – May 28th, 2014