Stack the Odds in Your Favor (with Rich Bernstein), Dow Jones new high, measuring happiness (with Tony Isola)

Trading the S&P 500 each day gives you only a 54% chance of making money. That’s a 46% chance of losing. Basically a coin flip.

Extending this time frame from holding stocks one day to holding them for a full year reduced your chances of losing by 15 percentage points (46% down to 31%).

And holding stocks over a ten year period reduces your odds of losing money to only 10% historically. That’s a 90% chance of winning over all rolling ten year periods back to 1991!

On this week’s episode of The Compound Show, Josh talks with veteran market strategist Rich Bernstein of Richard Bernstein Advisors about why long-term investors have a probabilistic advantage over short-term traders and why his firm focuses on top-down economic themes when constructing portfolios.

Tony Isola of Ritholtz Wealth stops by to talk about the kind of happiness and success that cannot be measured in numbers.

Be sure to leave us a rating and review if you’re enjoying the show, it goes a long way!

More from Rich Bernstein here.

More from Tony Isola here.

You can listen to the whole thing below, or find it wherever you like to listen to your favorite pods!

Listen here:

Apple podcasts

Spotify podcasts

Google podcasts

Everywhere else! 

This content, which contains security-related opinions and/or information, is provided for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon in any manner as professional advice, or an endorsement of any practices, products or services. There can be no guarantees or assurances that the views expressed here will be applicable for any particular facts or circumstances, and should not be relied upon in any manner. You should consult your own advisers as to legal, business, tax, and other related matters concerning any investment.

The commentary in this “post” (including any related blog, podcasts, videos, and social media) reflects the personal opinions, viewpoints, and analyses of the Ritholtz Wealth Management employees providing such comments, and should not be regarded the views of Ritholtz Wealth Management LLC. or its respective affiliates or as a description of advisory services provided by Ritholtz Wealth Management or performance returns of any Ritholtz Wealth Management Investments client.

References to any securities or digital assets, or performance data, are for illustrative purposes only and do not constitute an investment recommendation or offer to provide investment advisory services. Charts and graphs provided within are for informational purposes solely and should not be relied upon when making any investment decision. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The content speaks only as of the date indicated. Any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects, and/or opinions expressed in these materials are subject to change without notice and may differ or be contrary to opinions expressed by others.

Wealthcast Media, an affiliate of Ritholtz Wealth Management, receives payment from various entities for advertisements in affiliated podcasts, blogs and emails. Inclusion of such advertisements does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Content Creator or by Ritholtz Wealth Management or any of its employees. Investments in securities involve the risk of loss. For additional advertisement disclaimers see here:

Please see disclosures here.