Social Media ETF: File Under "Things Nobody Needs"

I like Global X, I think they’ve launched some interesting, well thought-out exchange traded products over the last few years.  But this latest lauch, a social media ETF,  is corny, foolish and totally unnecessary…

Global X, the New York-based fund provider focused largely on commodity and emerging markets, rolled out today the market’s first ETF to focus solely on social media companies, recalling First Trust’s niche Internet-linked funds.

The Global X Social Media Index ETF (NasdaqGM: SOCL) is the first portfolio allocated entirely to social media names, tracking the 28-security free-float, market-capitalization-weighted Solactive Social Media Index. It comprises companies involved with social networking, file sharing and other Web-based applications. SOCL comes with a net expense ratio of 0.65 percent.

Do we really have to pretend that social media is a business unto itself?  None of the companies that comprise the ETF are in “new businesses” or so special that they need to be in their own index vehicle.  Groupon is not a social media company – it’s in the hundred year-old coupon business.  LinkedIn is basically the yellow pages.  Zynga is a video game maker.

So lame.  And like other contrived indexes, half the components of this thing will be competing with the other half in a zero-sum game that virtually ensures it will go nowhere.  If you want tech, just buy the QQQ’s or something.

Raise your hand if you plan to invest your money in the “social media” ETF….Great, now take that hand and slap yourself across the face with it.

Index Universe

Tags: , , ,

Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.

What's been said:

Discussions found on the web
  1. Blue Coaster33 commented on Apr 20

The Ships’s Voyages

I think technologies just can make it even worse. Now there is a channel to never treatment, now there wouldn’t become a chance for them to find.

2. watch movies online commented on Apr 23

The Absent Game

Involving me and my husband we have owned a lot more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (basic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few several years I’ve settled down to one line of players.

3. streaming movies commented on Apr 24

Healing’s Dragon

to discover concerns to boost my web site!I suppose its alright to produce use of some of your principles!!

4. streaming movies commented on Apr 24

Woman of Alien

Best operate you may have carried out, this page is absolutely amazing with superb data. Time is God’s means of maintaining everything from occurring at the same time.

5. water purification systems commented on Apr 26

The Absent Game

Among me and my husband we’ve owned additional MP3 gamers through the years than I can count, such as Sansas, iRivers, iPods (typical & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few ages I’ve settled down to one line of players.

6. kangen water commented on May 01

Healing’s Dragon

to discover issues to boost my website!I suppose its okay for making usage of a number of of your respective principles!!