I didn’t want to weigh in on the hysteria just yet, but here are a few quick things to keep in mind re: Swine Flu…
1. Don’t chase stocks that are being perceived as “Swine Flu Plays” as this will almost definitely end in tears. Here’s an example…BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX), which invariably rallies and then disappoints whenever the threat of a possible pandemic arises. No, i have not looked at their clinical data or fundamentals or anything like that, but I’ve seen this movie before (Y2K stocks) and I know how it ends.
2. In the event that Swine Flu does become a full-fledged epidemic, try to stay as close to Will Smith as possible, as I saw a documentary once (I Am Legend) that detailed his knack for surviving these types of things.
3. Try not to freak anyone you work with out by showing up to the office wearing a surgical mask. If this disease really wants to get you, one millimeter of fabric covering your nostrils and mouth will not save you.
4. Halt all shipments of bottled Mexican tap water to your residence and/or place of business. I know it’s delicious and refreshing, but Mexican tap water is a luxury you just may have to learn to live without right now.
5. Avoid reading the Drudge Report or any other news outlet that makes frequent use of flashing siren animation when looking for helpful intel on this subject.
Follow the above 5 guidelines when preparing yourself and your portfolio for the eventuality of a worldwide swine flu pandemic and you should be ok…or not.